This future of this year’s Eurovision Song Contest, due to be held this may in Kiev, Ukraine, is in doubt, as 21 senior members of the organising team have walked out.
The Eurovision Broadcasting Union has insisted that the show must be held in May, despite that the fact that the organisers who walked out include two executive producers, the head of security and the event manager.
In a statement on Monday, the Eurovision team stated that they had felt side-lined by a new event coordinator.
“Hereby we, the Eurovision team, for whom this contest has become not only part of our work but also part of our life, officially announced that we are leaving this project and stopping work on the preparation for the contest,” they said.
However, Ukraine’s Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman said that “absolutely nothing threatens Eurovision”.
Ukraine won the right to host the Eurovision Song Contest last year when Jamala won with 1944 about Stalin’s deportation of Tartars.
The organisers of the contest in Kiev have had serious difficulties financing the event.
Ukraine’s Orthodox Church has also described as “blasphemy” the location of the opening ceremony, an 11th-century cathedral.