Here it is! Our last day looking at the lovely Tom Daley! (I can hear the sighs from here) To finish up, we’re gonna be doing a bit of a double feature of Tom Daley facts (or factoids) and a little snippet of what this young talent has in store for 2016.
- His full name is Thomas Robert Daley, and was born on 21st May 1994 in Plymouth to parents Rob and Debbie Daley.
- Tom Daley started diving at the age of 7, and has been swimming since the age of 4.
- He specialises in the 10 metre platform event and in 2009 he became the FINA World Champion at age 15.
- In 2008, he was ranked at number 63 in Time’s 100 Olympic Athletes To Watch.
- In 2010, Daley won two gold medals for England at the Commonwealth Games.
- Daley was approached by ITV to present a celebrity diving reality show called Splash! Which aired on 5th January 2013. This was renewed for a second series in January 2014.
- In a 2013 poll by Attitude, Tom Daley was voted as the World’s Sexiest Man.
- His star sign is Gemini.
- Tom Daley is good friends with One Direction’s Liam Payne.
- On 2nd December 2013, Tom posted a video on YouTube revealing he is bisexual and has been in a serious relationship with a guy since spring 2013. This video received over 10 million views within a month of it being posted.
- Daley is engaged to Dustin Lance Black, an American LGBT rights activist and celebrated figure in the film industry.
- Tom and Dustin met at the Kids Choice Awards in LA in March 2013.
- For Tom’s 18th birthday, his mother bought him a voucher to go and get an Olympic tattoo. He got the five Olympic Rings on his right bicep. As much as he loved his new ink, he said he doesn’t think he will get another tattoo, “to get one it has to mean something”.
- Daley’s diving coaches are Andy Banks and Peng Li.
- He is a huge fan of the Black Eyed Peas.
- To help with his GCSE Photography project, Daley persuaded supermodel Kate Moss to pose in a recreation of a famous painting by the artist David Hockney. He earned himself an A* for his project. He also received another 8 A*’s and 1 A grade in his other subjects.
- In February 2014 the sports clothing company Adidas announced that Tom Daley would be one of their spokesmen. Daley will be promoting the company’s NEO brand of casual clothing, accessories and footwear.
- Tom has over 1.5 million followers on Twitter and is the most popular member of Team GB. His spoof on Sexy and I Know It has received over four million hits on YouTube.
- He tore his right triceps in 2010 when he was just 16, before rupturing it twice in 2013.
As for what this rising star has planned for 2016, well – he has already kicked off the year in fine style by winning the gold medal in the Men’s 10m Platform final on the last day of the British National Diving Cup. Tom himself called this an “important event to get the season going”
But we all know that what Tom has his eyes on this year, are the Olympics in Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. Tom won a fair few medals at least year’s Olympics (you can take a look at all his achievements here), so I’m sure Tom (and Britain) have high hopes for this year’s contest.
The other thing that could be big this year for Tom, and his fiance, is of course their wedding. They have previously said that they won’t even begin planning until after the Olympics, so we most likely won’t see the happy couple get hitches this year – but you never know.