So, our third and final article on Ian Thorpe for this week. Yes, he gets one less article, but I’m sure old “Thorpedo” will be able to console himself.
Since Ian is a very talented and has actually broken some records, what better to do than finish up with his achievements.
And finally, lets finish up by looking at the honours he has outside of swimming.
- 2014: Conferred an honorary Doctor of Letters by the Macquarie University in recognition of his extraordinary contribution for the sport, philanthropy and Indigenous rights.
- 2013: Conferred an honorary Doctor of Letters by the University of Western Sydney for his support for health and education services for Indigenous youth.
- 2012: Awarded Human Rights Medal for his charity work with Indigenous children.
- 2007: Ian Thorpe Aquatic and Fitness Centre in Ultimo, Sydney named in his honour.
- 2001: Awarded Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for service to sport as a gold medallist at the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.
- 2000: Young Australian of the Year