Another week, another gay athlete we have to say goodbye to! As with last week, we will be finishing off our look at Robbie Rogers by looking at a few facts and tidbits about the soccer player. If you missed any of my previous articles, you can check them out at these links: #1, #2, and #3.
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at some Robbie Rogers facts.
- His full name is Robert Hampton “Robbie” Rogers III and he was born in 1987 in California to parents Theresa and Robert Rogers.
- Robbie started playing soccer at age four-and-a-half at the American Youth Soccer Organization.
- He has played for various teams, including Columbus Crew, Leeds United and LA Galaxy.
- He came out as gay in 2013, making him the second British footballer to do so and the first out player to compete in a top North American professional sports league.
- In 2014, he released a book called Coming Out to Play, which tells his story as a closeted gay man in the world of pro football/soccer.
- His star sign is Taurus.
- Robbie has been dating producer and writer Greg Berlanti since 2013.
- They recently announced the birth of their son, Caleb Berlanti (via surrogate) on February 18.
- He has played in both winger and left back positions.
- He has a tattoo saying “Lollie” on his bicep.
- He has a dog named Jeffrey, who is just the cutest.
- In 2015, he was inducted into the National Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame.
- He enjoys surfing and table tennis.
- Robbie is co-owner of Halsey, a menswear fashion company.
- His favorite athlete is Zlatan Ibrahimović.
- In October 2014, ABC closed a deal to air Men in Shorts, a single-camera comedy based on Robbie’s career and coming out.
2016 seems to be shrouded in mystery for this heartthrob, but whether he just focuses solely on being a great father and partner, or balances that with his successes in sport, we wish him the best of luck!