At the recent Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, the first lady Michelle Obama has denounced Donald Trump and also shown her support for Hillary Clinton.
Michelle said: “The hateful language… from public figures on TV does not represent the true spirit of this country. Don’t stoop to their level. Our motto is, when they go low, we go high.”
While she did not directly reference Trump in her comments, but they are widely seen as a criticism of the Republican nominee. Michelle said that she wants her husband to be succeeded by “somebody who knows this job and takes it seriously”.
And later, she directly supported the Democratic candidate when she said, “my daughters and all our sons and daughters now take for granted that a woman can be president of the United States.”
The other Democratic nominee, Bernie Sanders, also urged other Democrats to throw their support behind Clinton: “While Donald Trump is busy insulting one group after another, Hillary Clinton understands that our diversity is one of our greatest strengths.”
Michelle Obama also made several other comments which can only really be directly in criticism of Trump…
- “When someone is cruel or acts like a bully, you don’t stoop to their level”
- “We urge them [our daughters] to ignore those who question their father’s citizenship or faith”
- “Don’t let anyone ever tell you that this country isn’t great”
- Issues facing a president “cannot be boiled down to 140 characters”
- Ideal president “can’t have a thin skin or a tendency to lash out”