The listeneres to Radio X have voted that, apparently, Wonderwall by Oasis is the greatest British song of all time.
Radio X listeners cast more than 50,000 votes for their inaugural Best of British poll, which resulted in four Oasis tracks taking up the top four spots. I’ll show the full results in just a moment, but we also got a little look see into how the presenters voted.
DJ Chris Moyles voted for Coldplay’s Viva La Vida, while Vernon Kay backed The Sex Pistols’ Anarchy in the UK.
Managing editor of Radio X, Chris Baughen, said: “Just six months on from the launch of Radio X, we asked our listeners to vote for their favourite records in the first ever Best of British poll, and they have spoken in their thousands. In fact we received more than 50,000 votes in just over two weeks showing how much our listeners love British music.”
Noel Gallagher also chimed in, saying: “What can I say? The people have spoken. The fact that there wasn’t one single NGHFB song in the top 20 makes me think the whole thing is a mockery of an unreliable sham! Saying that though, I’m thrilled. Thanks for voting. ONWARDS.”
You can find the full list below.
1. Wonderwall, Oasis
2. Don’t Look Back In Anger, Oasis
3. Champagne Supernova, Oasis
4. Live Forever, Oasis
5. I Am The Resurrection, The Stone Roses
6. I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor, Arctic Monkeys
7. Heroes, David Bowie
8. Life On Mars?, David Bowie
9. Bittersweet Symphony, The Verve
10. Gimme Shelter, The Rolling Stones
11. One Day Like This, Elbow
12. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen
13. Hey Jude, The Beatles
14. Common People, Pulp
15. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out, The Smiths
16. Slide Away, Oasis
17. Fool’s Gold, The Stone Roses
18. How Soon Is Now, The Smiths
19. A Day In The Life, The Beatles
20. Love Will Tear Us Apart, Joy Division